The California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative, the Asian Pacific American Legal Center (APALC), the United Hair and Nail Association (UHANA), and Senator Lou Correa jointly presented the California Cosmetology and Nail Salon Town Hall Meeting on Sunday, December 13, 2009. Held at Advance Beauty College in Westminster, Calif., the full day event included presentations on ways to protect workers’ health in the salon, the benefits and resources to help salon owners “go green,” and the group’s collaborative campaign to bring awareness to the three most harmful ingredients in nail products.
In the second half of the day, the California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology demonstrated the proper technique of cleaning a pipeless pedicure spa. In this dry demonstration, Outreach Coordinator Betty Ho guides us through the process of cleaning a pipeless pedicure spa after each client, at the end of the day, and at the end of each week, to protect the health of nail techs and clients and to avoid unnecessary inspection citations and fines. Lenh Tsan from the Asian Law Caucus translated the demonstration in Vietnamese.
The materials needed include:
- a clean brush
- liquid soap
- EPA-registered hospital-grade liquid disinfectant (disinfectant must have virucidal, fungicidal, and bactericidal qualities.)
- paper towels
- a Footspa Cleaning Log
After Every Client
1) Drain any water in the pedicure spa, take out any removable parts of the pedicure spa. Spray basin with water, and using a brush and liquid soap, scrub the basin of any visible debris. Also scrub the removable pieces.
2) Rinse the spa basin with water. Rinse the removable pieces, then place them back in the basin.
3) Fill the basin with water and add the hospital-grade disinfectant measured based on the written directions. Turn on the spa and let the disinfectant circulate for 10 minutes.
4) Drain the water. Rinse the basin; then wipe it dry.
5) Log the cleaning in your pedicure log with the date, time, initials of the person who cleaned the foot spa, and designate that the cleaning was done after a client.
At the End of the Day
Follow Steps 1-5 above from cleaning after every client.
6) Refill the basin, add detergent based on the manufacturer instructions, and let the detergent circulate for 10 minutes.
Note: If excess suds and bubbles form, turn off the circulation and let it sit for the remainder of the 10 minutes.
7) Drain the water; then rinse the basin.
8) Fill the basin with water, add disinfectant a second time, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
9) Drain the water; then rinse the basin and wipe the basin dry with a clean paper towel.
10) Log the cleaning in your pedicure log, specifying that this was an end of day cleaning.
At the End of the Week or Weekly
1) Fill the basin with water, add detergent and let it soak for 10 minutes.
2) Drain the basin; rinse it with water.
3) Fill the basin with clean water and mix the EPA-registered disinfectant based on manufacturer instructions. Turn on the foot spa and let the disinfectant circulate for 10 minutes.
4) Turn off the foot spa and leave the disinfectant in the basin for 6-10 hours.
5) Drain the basin, rinse with water, and wipe the basin with a clean paper towel.
6) Log the cleaning in your pedicure log, specifying this as an end of the week cleaning.
Some extra notes:
- You still have to follow these steps in cleaning your pedicure spas even if you use plastic pedicure liners.
- Spa chairs that are broken or not in use must clearly show that it is not in use by covering the spa chair or using signs so that inspectors know the difference.
A few of those in attendance during the foot spa cleaning demonstration were surprised by the rigorous cleaning practice designed by the State Board. Were you taught this method of cleaning pedicure spa chairs in school? Do you believe these are the best methods of cleaning pedicure spas? I’d like to hear from you.
To download pedicure logs in Vietnamese and English and a State-by-State Guide to Disinfection Regulations, click here.
The secure and easy all-access connection to your content.
Bookmarked content can then be accessed anytime on all of your logged in devices!